Sunday 9 December 2012

Allt Dearg Burn - Small Stream Trout and Wonderful Malt!

I had a pretty ropey trout season, as referred to previously. The weather was poor last summer, and seemed to be especially so whenever I attempted to wet a line. This was frustrating, but I had one highlight that sustained me through to what's proving a decent grayling season so far, and I thought I'd share this. With Christmas approaching, and not everyone interested in grayling, I hope this will amuse and entertain on a cold winter evening.

It's become a tradition that my wife and I holiday in Scotland. Following a visit on honeymoon to the Isle of Harris in 2007, we'd been back each year since. Now this is a long way from the New Forest and since 2008, in possession of at least one dog, copious amounts of wet weather gear, walking boots and fly fishing tackle, we've driven there via the Isle of Skye and a ferry crossing.

This year was different, with my mother and father-in-law having moved from The Lizard in Cornwall to Edderton, near to Bonar Bridge, Dornoch Firth and the marvellous Balblair distillery. We would be going to stay with Ted and Judy instead of making our annual visit to Harris for our holiday this year, and I was intrigued to hear that not only did a burn run through the newly-acquired former croft, but there were trout in it.

As the end of August approached, it was time for us to acquire a new roofbox, work out how to attach this to our Mini Countryman, fill it (and the rest of the car) full of "stuff", load up the dogs and head north. This would be a 12 to 13 hour drive on the Saturday of the August Bank Holiday weekend, but for me the distance travelled is part of the attraction of Scotland. The wilderness feels special for someone like me that works in the City of London and lives in a fairly populous neck of the woods.

"Ted and Judy's burn" is the upper reaches of Allt Dearg - which the Balblair distillery uses as its water source. Reports indicated one or two points at which the burn would be fishable, and I was particularly intrigued by the "bridge pool", being not only the most accessible but also the "troutiest" part of the whole beat.

Invitingly trouty - looking upstream
..it's behind you! The view downstream
As a small stream "novice" I decided to focus on this pool as I had seen splashy rises plus a few other signs of fish in residence, and the remainder of the beat was quite overgrown. In the picture below, my rod is pointing roughly at where I'd seen fish rising and this was the main area I would target with my flies.

The "Bridge Pool" - a rod's eye view - early September
I was looking forward to using my Greys X-Flite 7ft 6in 3wt, which would be eminently suitable for this pool.

For most of our stay the water levels were healthy and a reasonable flow of current through the pool suggested different approaches. The best part about this was having a trout stream 200 yards from the front door, and being able to grab my rod to head out for half an hour of fishing before dinner.

My first attempt was on just this basis - time to kill before dinner. So I set up, attaching a 7.5ft tapered leader, and for some reason selecting a blue winged olive. It just spoke to me from the fly box, so on it went. I suspected that presentation would be more important than an exact imitation, and I was proved right. I was able to get a nice, drag free "drift" under the overhanging branches and into the corner of the pool, and after a couple of rises and false alarms, the olive was taken and I gently landed and released a wonderful little trout of a few inches.

I can honestly say I've never been as delighted by a fish coming to hand, and being able to walk back up to the house for a glass of wine, with fishy tales, and one of Judy's awesome dinners to follow.

As I grew in confidence, I fished other parts of the pool. Roll casts up to just short of the bridge proved successful, as did on other occasions attaching a red necked PTN  to the bend of the dry fly and fishing a "duo". This method proved effective one evening with three fish taking the nymph in the space of 15 minutes - I packed in after that as I figured the pool needed a rest.

All part of the small stream experience?
On the one hand, I'm sad that I didn't get at least one picture of these wee trout. I was more intent on getting them swiftly to hand, unhooking and releasing them quickly. So, the only photo I have of something I "caught" is the one above, which my wife took. I am pleased to report that flies and tippet were all safely retrieved.

Towards the end of our holiday, there was little rain so the water dropped and the flow lessened. I'd had my fun with the "bridge pool", but was able to spot a larger tout (probably all of 8 inches!) skulking under the bridge. Who knows, maybe next time I'll catch a monster....

By the way, if you've never tried Balblair but you like your single malt soft, flowery, honeyed and heathery, then it is highly recommended. A nice Christmas treat!


No comments:

Post a Comment